I got back yesterday from a weeklong hiking and camping trip in the north of Israel. It was about sixty kilometers, all told, over five days. It was a survival trip, which means they gave us only very basic food and we had to find the rest ourselves. It would take me awhile to write down everything that happened, so I'll make a list of the main points:
1. It was really fucking hot.
2. We climbed some huge mountains, even though we didn't need to, thanks to Noah, Benno and Colin.
3. Shachav was our madriach. Remember Shachav?
4. We ate a lot of figs and pomegranates. Acutally, not enough. On night we had plain chickpeas for dinner and the next night we had wheat with honey.,
5. We decided to give up deodorant. We also had to make our own backpacks out of potato sacks and twine.
6. We hiked through a field of nettles. You may think I'm talking about a nettle here or there, but no. There was not room to pass between them at all, and I was wearing shorts. And then we slept in nettles. And lastly,
7. I had my period for the whole time. Can you fucking believe that? Hiking up mountains, eating wild berries, crossing the Jordan River, climbing through thorn bushes, sleeping on the ground...with my period. I wanted to fucking die.
On the last day, right after crossing the Jordan, we had to crawl on our hands and knees through a bamboo forest that looked like Vietnam. Since I'd hardly eaten in the past three days, I was dehydrated, and I had my period, I couldn't handle it anymore and I fainted. It was so romantic, swooning on the banks of the Jordan next to a pile of cow shit. It was actually pretty fucked up, since I'd never fainted before, and I was crying and hyperventilating a lot. Fortunately Hadar and Mira helped me. I fell on my leg though, and now there's a big bruise there and it's swollen. Fun times.